Have you ever wanted the experience of a dance club or movie theater without leaving your house? If so, then an at-home theater system might be your solution. Not only can a large number of brands make the buying process more stressful, but so can all of the options you have to choose from. Most people think that they have to spend a ton of money to get the best home theater system, but you can find some great options that are relatively affordable.
To help make the buying process even easier, we’ve put together a helpful guide. In addition to reviewing the top 10 best surround sound systems under 500 dollars, we’ll also be taking a look at what you should consider before buying.
|Top Top||Klipsch Black Reference Theater Pack 5.1 Surround Sound System||Prime||Buy Here|
|Top Top Top||JBL Cinema 610 Advanced 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System with Powered Subwoofer||Prime||Buy Here|
|Top Top||20" 2.0 Sound Bar | SB2020n-G6||Prime||Buy Here|
|Top Top||Sony HT-S350 Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer: S350 2.1ch Sound Bar and Powerful Subwoofer - Home Theater Surround Sound Speaker System for TV - Blutooth and HDMI Arc Compatible Bar Black||Prime||Buy Here|
|Top Top||Rockville HTS45 600w 5.1 Channel Bluetooth Home Theater Audio System+Subwoofer||Prime||Buy Here|
|Top Top||Polk Audio Blackstone TL1600 Compact Home Theater System - 5.1 Channel | 6 Items - 4 TL1 Satellite Speakers + 1 Center Channel + 8" Powered Subwoofer||Prime||Buy Here|
|Top Top||Acoustic Audio AA5170 Home Theater 5.1 Bluetooth Speaker System 700W with Powered Sub||Prime||Buy Here|
|Top Top||Onkyo HT-S3910 Home Audio Theater Receiver and Speaker Package, Front/Center Speaker, 4 Surround Speakers, Subwoofer and Receiver, 4K Ultra HD (2019 Model)||Prime||Buy Here|
|Top Top||Samsung HW-Q67CT 38.6" 7.1 Channel Home Theater Sound System with Wireless Subwoofer and Rear Speakers||Prime||Buy Here|
|Top Top||auna Areal Active 525, 5.1 Surround Sound System, Home Cinema System, Bass Reflex, 5 Satellite Speakers, Bluetooth, USB Port, SD, AUX, Pianoblack||Prime||Buy Here|
With one subwoofer and five satellite speakers, you’re sure to configure the perfect layout. It has a built-in Linear Travel Suspension, or LTS, which helps cut down on the amount of distortion that comes through. The speakers are both rigid and lightweight, which helps make the sound even better. Each of the satellite speakers has a threaded insert and keyhole mount to help make mounting them a little easier.
You’ll need to get a transmitter that’s paired before you use the system, but after pairing you can connect and start using the system immediately. It’s produced with high-quality materials to help increase the system’s life and let you keep enjoying your home theater.
- LTS Tweeter-The built-in LTS tweeter helps decrease the distortion and increase the performance. It’s a great way to have an enhanced listening experience without buying another piece of equipment. The LTS works with a special technology called Tractrix Horn Technology to give you the booming sound you want without the garbled noises you don’t.
- Size-It’s compact and could work great in smaller areas. Since each piece is smaller than normal, you’ll have more freedom with how you want your layout. Don’t let the small size fool you, though, because these bad boys will give you the experience of a real movie theater every time!
- GHz Connectivity-It has 2.4GHz connectivity, which allows you to get a clear sound regardless of where you’re at in the room. The data might come in slower, but you’ll be able to go longer distances while still being connected. This also means you’ll have more options in regards to what electronics you can and can’t connect to.
- Mounting-Each of the five satellite speakers has a threaded insert and keyhole mount to ensure it stays where you put it. Besides, these features help make it possible to mount your speakers in a ton of different areas. If you’ll be using these features for mounting, you should be able to get done in just a few minutes.
With all things considered, this is an amazing sound system. You can save space and have the sound you’re looking for. There are a few things you’ll want to watch for, but most people are happy with their purchase. If you think the system might work for you, check it out and take a closer look.
With one subwoofer and five satellite speakers, it’s no surprise that this system ended up on our list. In addition, the satellite speakers have 2-way voice matching, which ensures all of your speakers will be playing in sync. The included brackets help make the installation process easier and helps ensure your speakers will stay in place. The included remote is very easy to use and you won’t have to worry about using a bunch of remotes. While it’s advertised as a 7.1 system, you could also set it up to be something else, like a 5.1 or 6.1 system. It’s not super flashy, but it provides a clear and crisp sound.
- Voice Matching-The 2-way satellite speakers have voice matching, which means all of your speakers will have a consistent sound. The 2-way feature means that the speakers are ready for anything. The subwoofer is designed for lower-frequency sounds, while the tweeter is designed for sounds with higher frequencies. All of this together gives a clear and crisp sound.
- Mounting-There are included brackets that come with the system to make mounting easier. The mounts do well in most areas, but you might need to add a few extra to have extra support. With these brackets, you should be able to have everything completely installed within a few minutes.
- Configurations– The way the system is made makes it possible to configure your speakers in almost any layout. As long as you correctly position the center speaker, you should get sound that’s clear and clean. You can play around with different positions until you find the one that works best for your room.
- Size-Not only are the satellite speakers small, but so is the subwoofer. At only 8″, it can fit in almost any smaller space. In addition to fitting in small areas, the compact size makes it so the speakers blend in instead of standing out or being an eye-sore. It’s great for those with little room, as well as those that want something simple.
We really love this system and recommend it for anyone that wants great sound but doesn’t have room for a huge system. It would also be great for those that just want something that isn’t obvious or bulky. Take a look at this system and see if you can use it to make the best home theater possible.
This is great for those that want a surround sound system but don’t really have space. This kit comes with a soundbar and wireless subwoofer. You can connect through the built-in Bluetooth and easily play all of your favorites. When used in smaller rooms, this system makes you feel like you’re right in the middle of the action.
There are multiple different inputs to choose from and you have a few options for controlling the system, like the remote and the control buttons on top. It can be a little hard to work with in terms of keeping it connected, but you shouldn’t have too many issues.
- Design-The design of these speakers is both compact and simple. They are solid black and would look great in almost any room. Even though they are small, they pack a punch and can give you the sound you’re looking for. It’s also designed to work with more speakers if wanted.
- DTS Virtual X-This built-in technology helps enhance the audio and give a much clearer sound by lengthening the soundstage and makes the audio more heightened. In addition to that, the technology also helps put you in the middle of the action and makes you feel like you’re actually there.
- Bluetooth Connectivity-You can connect your device by Bluetooth to make it start playing directly through the speakers. This gives you the option of connecting multiple different devices. Not only can you play your favorite movies or music, but so can any of your guests.
- AUX Port-While the AUX port can’t be used for headphones, you can use it to listen from things like an MP3, CD, or DVD player. This makes it possible to enjoy your old favorites, as well as letting your friends share their favorites with you.
After looking at all of the information, we’ve concluded that you can get a nice theater experience with this system. It’s great for smaller rooms and you don’t have to worry about a bunch of cables. Check this system out if you’re looking for something simple with clear sound.
This is another great option for those that are looking for a basic soundbar and subwoofer system. In addition to being Bluetooth capable, you can also form a connection using an HDMI arc. .
For the most part, any device that has Bluetooth capabilities will work great with this Sony system. You have seven different modes to choose from, including Cinema, Game, and Music. This makes it possible to have the best sound regardless of what you’re watching or listening to. It’s very easy to set up and you can mount the soundbar right onto your wall, which is a big reason why it’s a great option for those that don’t have a lot of space.
- S-Force Pro-This technology is a virtual version of a surround sound system. This means that you’ll have a theater-like experience and hear the sound all around you. Not only is this great for both movies and music, but it also helps give you a more entertaining experience.
- Sound Modes-There are seven different sound modes that help give you the best experience regardless of what you’re listening to. These modes are Standard Audio Mode, Cinema, Sports, Auto Sound, Music, News, and Game. If you change the input based on what you’re doing, you’ll see how better the experience is.
- Voice Enhancement-This is a built-in technology that helps you hear more clearly. It takes the voices and isolates them, then plays them louder over any background noise. There’s nothing worse than trying to hear dialogue with background noise that’s the loudest part of the scene. This technology completely stops this from happening!
- TV Connection-There are a few reasons why this is such a great feature. For starters, it makes it possible to use the system with a newer TV. The other reason is that you can hook up a projector and feel like you’re looking at the big screen without actually being away from your house!
With an affordable price and decent sound quality, most people should be quite happy with this system. There are a few bumps they’ll need to get over, but it shouldn’t be too complicated. If you’re ready to get over those bumps, then check the system out.
If you’re looking for something that packs a punch and can immerse you in whatever you’re watching, then this product might be perfect for you. It has two front speakers, two rear speakers, a center channel, and a subwoofer that has a built-in receiver. It also comes with remote control and a wall mounting kit to help make installation easier.
You also have the option to insert an SD card, as well as use an AUX cord or even sing karaoke! Unlike many other models, this system has a port to connect an optical cable, which means it should work with a lot of the newer smart TV models.
- SD Slot-We love that you can load up your SD card with your favorites then listens to them through your system. This is especially great for older movies that are hard to find or favorites that aren’t well-known. The possibilities are endless and you’ll be able to watch almost everything you want!
- Echo Function/Mic Inputs-Most home theaters are a place where you can enjoy not only those that live with you but also all of your close friends and family. Sometimes groups of people love doing karaoke and these features make that possible. You’ll be able to belt out the classics without any distortion!
- Cables/Wires-Unlike some of the other products out there, this system comes with all of the cables and wires you’ll need. The rear speakers have 30 feet of wire, the front speakers have 12 feet of cable, and the center speakers have 12 feet of cable. This should be plenty, but you could easily add more on.
- Volume Controls-Most surround sound systems will have one volume button for all speakers but this one has a volume button for each. This makes it possible to change the volume independently to get the best audio possible and experiment to see what works best for you.
All in all, this setup is a great system that comes from an awesome brand. You’ll have plenty of speakers to create your home theater and you’ll have plenty of wire to connect everything. If you’re looking for something that’ll bring your home theater together, then give this system a chance.
Not only is this home theater system relatively affordable, but it also provides crisp and clear sound. While it would do fine in larger rooms, you’ll see the best results in rooms that are small or large. The 50-watt subwoofer is connected to all five of the speakers, which helps make you feel like you’ve been dropped in the middle of the action. It’s extremely easy to connect and you can start using it within minutes.
While you’ll need an AV receiver to actually use the system, you’ll be amazed at how amazing the sound quality is. You can mount the speakers right on the wall and customize the layout to meet your needs.
- Size-The system is compact enough to fit in most smaller areas without taking up too much room. It’s great for small or medium-sized rooms but would do alright in a larger one. This also means that they can be attached to most walls, even if they are shorter than normal.
- Bass Port-Not only is the bass port rear-firing, but it’s also been aperiodic tuned. This basically helps block some of the high-resonant frequency. This gives you a better listening experience and decreases the chance of background noise interfering with whatever you’re listening to. It might not seem like a big deal, but you’d be surprised at how much it helps.
- Mounting-They have keyhole mounts on the back which makes mounting quite a bit easier. These are shaped like keyholes with a wider bottom and shorter top. All you do is put the screw in the wall and put the big part of the mount over it. All you do after that is slide it right into place.
- Additions-By adding a “Y” cable, you can easily add another subwoofer or more speakers. You can have a system with a lot of sounds, but it’s important to make sure it’s not going to overpower the room. Try and it out to see how well it works.
The features of this system can have a huge impact on your home theater and you might never want to try another system. All of the speakers work well together and they do offer a theater-like experience. You should check this product out if you want something with crystal clear audio and booming bass!
This Acoustic Audio system has amazing sound quality and brings the party right to you. For starters, you can connect your Bluetooth right to the system and listen to your favorite jams. You could also put your favorite movie on and take a day of relaxation. One of the coolest things about the subwoofer is that it has an LED light that changes colors and patterns. The included remote means you’ll be able to control everything from one spot and you won’t even have to get up. It comes with all of the cables needed, but you might need to get longer cables.
- LED Display-Our favorite feature of this system is the LED display on the subwoofer. Not only does this cycle through several different colors, but you can also choose from various different patterns. You can match it to whatever you’re listening to for a more exciting and fun experience.
- Compatibility-Most of the other systems on this list is only compatible with a few different devices. This one, though, can connect to many different ones, including CD players, headphones, and stereos. It’s a great way to play all of your favorites without having to use multiple systems.
- Wireless Remote-The included remote is completely wireless and has every control you’ll need. It’s compact and everything is clearly labeled. If you have any issues or aren’t sure what something means, you can look at the user manual and find that information.
- SD/USB Ports-The SD port is great for those that have their favorites saved on an SD card. The USB port is great for two things. These include being able to select the files you want to listen to and being able to hook up various electronics that wouldn’t otherwise work.
While this system isn’t the best of the best, it does a decent job. Not only is the sound clear, but the bass thumps and the remote has every control you’ll need. Take a look at this product if you want something that doesn’t break the bank and gets the job done.
While this is one of the more expensive options on the list, it’s set up exactly like an old-school theater system. Not only does this system come with a center speaker, but it also has four surround sound speakers, one subwoofer with bass-reflex, and one receiver. Like many other models, you can connect your Bluetooth and play all of your favorites. It has both Dolby Atmos and DTS, which makes the sound even more clear and crisp. The system supports many different things, including HDR and video. While 150 watts won’t shake your floors, it’ll give you the movie theater sound.
- High-Quality Receiver-The receiver looks a lot like the older models and is essentially the brain of the system. It has multiple control options, which means you can get your audio to the way you like it. The receiver also supports HDR and 4K/60p video.
- DTS Playback-The system has both DTS and Dolby Amos. Both of these have sound mapping techniques that are both advanced and thorough. The speakers have a 3D layout that makes the audio encompass the entire room, which can make you feel like you’re right in the middle of the scene.
- Bluetooth Connection-Not only can you connect your phone through Bluetooth, but you can also connect other devices like your tablet or computer. This is a great feature for those that have movies and other media saved across multiple devices. You can watch what you want, whenever you want!
- Mounting-The system is very easy to mount and does well with most materials. There are keyhole mounts on the back, so you’ll want to make sure whatever you’re using will accommodate that. As long as that happens, you can use pretty much anything you want without too many issues.
This Onkyo surrounds sound system is decent for the price. There are a few issues that you’ll need to address, but it’s a good product overall. If you’re interested in finding out more, check this product out
This particular sound system is a little different than the others because it has multiple parts. Not only does it have a soundbar with an acoustic beam, but it also has wireless rear speakers to give you an even better listening experience. You can connect through Bluetooth or HDMI, which gives you the option to connect a variety of electronics. It works with most newer TV models and the remote controls pretty much everything. This is a great option for pretty much anyone and is sure to give you the experience you’re looking for!
- Channel Configuration-One of the best features of this Samsung surrounds sound system is that it can easily handle a 7.1 channel configuration. This means you can have one subwoofer and seven speakers. Keep in mind, this brings a lot of audio and it’s a good idea to use this configuration for medium or large-sized rooms.
- Smartphone Connection-A feature you don’t see very often is being able to connect multiple smartphones at once, but this system has that. You can connect two smartphones at the same time and easily switch between the two. It’s important to remember that you can’t use the soundbar mobile connection if you’re connected to the TV.
- Control Type-We love that you have a few different options to control your system. These include using a universal remote app, using the included remote, or connecting it to a smart assistant. You can choose whichever works best for you, but all of the methods work quite well.
- HDMI Connection-With the HDMI connection, you can connect to devices like newer smart TVs and DVD players. This opens up even more possibilities and you can watch all of your favorites. As long as you have a compatible device with an HDMI hookup, you shouldn’t run into too many complications.
This system might not be as fancy as the others, but it still makes our top 10 list. You can use the system in multiple different ways and you have multiple connection options. You should check it out if it sounds like something you’d love!
Â Not only does this setup offer amazing sound, but it comes with multiple speakers to give you the best home theater possible. It uses Bluetooth and you can easily connect most devices that are Bluetooth capable. In addition, it has areas for both an SD card and a USB, so you can play your favorite saved data. The system is also equipped with an AUX port that makes it possible to hook up devices like an MP3 player or CD player. You’ll also receive one AUX cord and three RCA cables that allow you to get your system connected and ready within a short amount of time.
- In addition to the subwoofer, this kit comes with an additional five satellite speakers. They get power from the subwoofer, so you don’t have to worry about any extra wires. Each of the satellite speakers is 15 watts and the subwoofer is 50 watts. Together, they’ll provide fantastic bass and clear sound.
- The system can be run through Bluetooth, which means you can wirelessly stream your favorite movies and music from your laptop, smartphone, or tablet. The included remote lets you easily control the menu and volume level without leaving your spot.
- There are built-in ports for USB cords and SD cards that make it possible to access saved data. The AUX port on the back means you can listen to your favorite songs or movies by connecting your media devices. The great thing is that you’ll receive one AUX cord and three RCA cables.
- The speakers are made from high-quality and strong materials to ensure they last for the long run. The housing and base of each speaker have a high-gloss black covering that will make your home theater both elegant and inviting.
Overall, this is a great system that packs a nice little punch. You can use Bluetooth to connect to most devices and you might need to get longer AUX cords if you plan on going that route. Take a closer look at this product to see if it’ll make a good addition to your theater.
|Brand Name||System Type||SpeakersOhms||Rating|
|Klipsch Black Reference Theater Pack||DIY Kit||5.1||8|
|JBL Cinema610||DIY Kit||5.1||8|
|VIZIO Sound Bar(20 inch TV)||Sound Bar with Subwoofer||2.1||8|
|Sony HT-S350||Sound Bar with Subwoofer||2.1||4|
|Rockville HTS45||DIY Kit||5.1||8|
|Polk Audio Blackstone TL1600||DIY Kit||5.1||8|
|Acoustic Audio by Goldwood||DIY Kit||5.1||8|
|Onkyo HT-S3910||DIY Kit||5.2.2||4|
|Samsung HW-Q67CT||Soundbar with Speakers & Remote||4.1||6|
|Auna Areal Active 525||DIY Kit||5.1||8|
Things to Consider Before Buying a Home Theater System
Before you buy a theater system for your home, there are a few things you should consider. These considerations should help make the buying process easier and narrow down your choices. Keep reading to check it out.
One of the most important things you’ll need to consider is how much room you have and what layout will work best. Not only do you want to figure out where the system will go, but also which pieces of equipment you want to choose. If you have your plan ready before you make a purchase, you’ll know exactly what you need to get.
Another consideration you’ll want to think about is why kind of remote or controls the system has. Some will come with a physical remote, while others will have you download an app that works over wifi. Figure out which one will work best for you and look for this information on the box or in the product description area.
Many people don’t realize that there are a few different types of surround sound systems and each one has its benefits. Take a look at the list below to see five different types.
- Sound bars-A bar that has all of the speakers built-in that’s great for those on a budget.
- Pre-packaged systems-It has everything you need in one box and is great for those that don’t want to spend a lot of time setting things up.
- Multiple pieces-These systems have equipment from different brands and companies and are great for those on a budget that want something specific.
- Wireless-This type of system is all wireless and doesn’t require any extra cords or holes in your walls.
- Custom and installed-These systems are for those that aren’t really on a budget and want the best of the best. They choose all of the system’s pieces and then it’s installed by professionals.
Ease of Setup
Some systems will be super easy to set up, while others will take multiple people. You’ll want to think about how many people you’ll have that can help and, if possible, read customer reviews to see what issues or hangups you can expect.
The final thing you’ll want to consider is the speakers you want for your system. For starters, consider whether you want wireless speakers or ones that are mounted on the wall. You should also think about the size of the speakers and how you can position them to get create the best system.
All of the systems on this list are great products and are some of the best surround sound systems under 500. All of them offer amazing sound quality and can help you create the home theater of your dreams. It’s important to think about the size and layout of your space, as well as what kind of system you’re looking for. The bigger systems will cost more, but you can have a great setup without spending an arm and a leg.
The most important thing is to consider your exact wants and needs because everyone is different. A system that works for one person might not meet the needs of your home theater. Look at as many reviews as possible to get an idea of what you should expect. Another thing to remember is that some systems will require more than one person to install, so make sure you have a backup if needed. Once you figure out your needs and wants, you’re ready to purchase your system. To help you make the home theater you’ve been dreaming of, check out these suggestions and figure out which products will benefit you the most!